View Single Post
Old 04-22-2012, 04:10 PM   #19 (permalink)
Vman455

Pope Pious the Prius - '13 Toyota Prius Two
Team Toyota
SUV
90 day: 51.62 mpg (US)

Tycho the Truck - '91 Toyota Pickup DLX 4WD
90 day: 22.22 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,802 Times in 939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
At the 'angles' associated with the 'Template' your LEXAN might produce refraction and internal reflections significant enough to obliterate the rear view.
If you have any clear plastic laying around you might prop it against the back of the car at the anticipated angle and look through the rearview to check your rearward vision.
Should it be a problem,you can always do a small,vertical, 'step' backlight which is inset into the rear slope.It doesn't have to be very large and the recessed area around it will simply capture a vortex of which the outer flow will just skip over.Many supercars and competition race cars have used this when running proper K-Form rooflines.
Thanks for pointing that out! I'm going to take it one step further, and tell me if I'm off base here. What would happen if I ditch the Lexan entirely and leave the rear window and trunk lid uncovered, with the tail coming up the sides to the roof and then everything past the trunklid built up to the template? Essentially, a larger cutout inset in the slope? Is there a maximum size where that will start to impact the airflow?