View Single Post
Old 04-22-2012, 08:57 PM   #146 (permalink)
mjspiess
EcoModding Lurker

The Blue Bomber - '95 Geo Metro
90 day: 52.09 mpg (US)
I got it! For whatever reason, the cruise simply could not stay steady when set to 8000 PPM. I tried 4000 PPM and still no luck. I tried 9650 PPM and it works almost flawlessly! Some things I've noticed:

You can set your MPG at any speed. For example, while leaving my apartment complex, it's 15 mph. I can set it for 45 mpg in 3rd gear & creep on out to the exit maintaining 45 mpg.

When setting your desired MPG, the car will go as fast as it is capable of doing so based on that specific engine load. For example, setting the MPG at 55 mpg, my speed fluctuated between 35 mph-56 mph based on the road elevations, wind, etc.

Speed varies a lot depending on the road you're driving on.

9650 PPM is prob. not pefect, because when setting the cruise, sometimes it still wants to over react, but I found if you just gently place your foot on the gas pedel to about the desired MPG/speed, the cruise levels out. There is an option for 6400 PPM I might try to see if that works any better.

This mod is probably only useful for people who do not encounter much traffic or drive back roads all the time, but you can always over ride what your cruise wants you to do. I haven't taken it on the highway yet.

Resume works now. It will remember the previous load you had set after hitting the brakes.

If I want to change from MAP to VSS, I'd have to devise a way to change PPM back to 4000 as well switch from MAP to VSS since my cruise control does not support tachometer only mode as far as I can tell. That is a bummer because it would be nice to be able to switch on the fly.

Here are some videos of MPG "locked" in. Instant MPG upper left, speed upper right, current MPG lower left, distance lower right. Sorry for the shakyness...some of the roads I was testing on were not very smooth.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mjspiess For This Useful Post:
California98Civic (04-26-2012), MetroMPG (04-23-2012)