View Single Post
Old 04-23-2012, 03:35 PM   #9 (permalink)
old jupiter
EcoModding Lurker

Thanks, I'll look for that. I could have mentioned turbocharging, as a way of making a smaller engine do the work of a bigger engine with more cylinders and more wieght, etc.. But lately I am fixing up a little modern-style car with a tiny engine compartment that is already fairly tightly-packed with its crosswise four cylinder engine, accessories, and an A/C system if I decide to re-install it. I like to be able to work my hand and a wrench or rachet around the engine, and adding a turbo system makes that nearly impossible. I'm also working on an old van, and have the same preference for good accesibility, so even though I'm replacing a V-8 with a straight six, I don't want to have to work around a turbo system. About the only place that I personally would use a turbo would be in an old-fashioned rear-drive car with an inline four or six, oriented fore-and-aft (not sideways) as the gods intended, and not a lot of clutter around it. Something like an old Dart or Swinger with a Slant Six just begs for a turbocharger, but the cars I have now do not.