View Single Post
Old 04-26-2012, 09:13 PM   #21 (permalink)
Daox
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,586 Times in 1,554 Posts
Quick question for anyone familiar with the old flathead engines. I'm trying to get the engine to turn over, but it gets stuck. I can turn it roughly 45 degrees (its very smooth for that 45 degrees) and then it stops both ways. Its not solid stop, and there is no metal 'tink' sound when it does stop. I've removed the spark plugs, put some oil in each cylinder and let it sit. I drained the oil and put new oil in and cleaned up the oil pan. While it was apart I took a look at the bottom end and it all appeared fine (though I'm not familiar with the engine). I've also removed all the belts on the front to eliminate any possibility of the accessories hanging it up. The previous owner claimed it ran when he put it away (probably 5 years ago). The next step I think is to take the exhaust manifolds off to see if there are any creatures that have crawled up and nested in the exhaust. Then after that I think its time to remove the heads and see if its a stuck valve or something. I'm quickly approaching the point at which pulling the engine might make everything easier to do.