View Single Post
Old 04-27-2012, 11:20 PM   #170 (permalink)
bazman
EcoModding Lurker

Weird Thing - '00 Holden (GM) Commodore SS Series II
90 day: 18.67 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazman View Post
Has anyone actually injected water/meth in a 50/50 mix during lean burn cruise conditions then played with timing and mixture to see if the injection of the mix enables the engine to hold speed while leaning out further or more improves mpg from better timing?

Assume the water/meth is injected at over 100psi and calibrated to achieve a desirable and atomised flow rate.

If no one has actually done this (the video of the test earlier in this thread leaves too many variables open to question) I might. The meth in the mix may just add enough fuel to assist the lean burn at maintaining speed while leaning the fuel out.
Guys - though we appreciate the science - it'd be more useful to discuss what might work in a car on the road.

Let's get back to that. This thread has potential if we make this all real.

Again - has anyone played with timing and lean burn while injecting high pressure water/meth?

I've never found anyone that has yet. I've come across meaningless experiments, and those that have tried injecting straight water without a custom tune hoping the water would do something magical. But who has actually tuned mappable water/meth injection under lean burn conditions?

Anyone?

....I hear the sound of crickets lol

To me, the obvious thing to do is try it if no one has. My tuner can change my timing and air fuel to anything the engine can take, and the potential lean limits go up if we drop the O2 sensors.

My current water/meth is pre Throttle body and not mapped so I'd need to get an additional mapped version I can inject under vacuum and control the flow.

re the science of water and efficiency: The water does not NEED to add mpg directly - all it has to do is enable the engine to tolerate a leaner mix while maintaining enough hp to keep the car at the same speed. If water + leaner mix and optimized timing (and 50% meth to the water to aid combustion) all help the engine run leaner than it can without water/meth - THEN it will get more mpg.

Will the increase be enough to justify the added cost of the meth? Hopefully. Would the increase justify the cost of the injection setup itself? likely not - but if you run boost then that cost is justified for other reasons.

Thoughts?

I believe a 50/50 mix of water/meth MIGHT help and for me it is easy as I run that mix anyway and have a sizable tank in the trunk to store it. All I need is another water injection kit to supplement the one I have (or replace it if I can vary the flow from very low at cruise to very high at boost). I'd never run water all the time, only under boost or under lean burn conditions. My tune kicks lean burn in after 7-8 seconds of steady light throttle cruise, then off if I poke the throttle.