View Single Post
Old 04-28-2012, 02:42 AM   #1 (permalink)
Saskwatchian
EcoModding Apprentice

Eric's Explorer - '01 Ford Explorer Sport 4x4
90 day: 19.05 mpg (US)

E's V - '07 Nissan Versa SL
90 day: 33.11 mpg (US)
New member from Northern Sask, F-150 the economical choice?

Could a F-150 really be a fuel-efficient choice?

So I am currently looking at getting a new vehicle and looking for advice from a fuel economy and eco-modding standpoint.

My current vehicle is a 2001 Ford Explorer Sport (2 door) that I bought 3 years ago with just over 100 000 km on the odometer. Now it has 300 000 km on it and for all intents and purposes is worn out and has been costing me much more money to keep running than I would care to admit, especially for a vehicle I never really liked that much in the first place.

I began researching vehicles in February and have really started to settle on either getting a 2013 Mazda CX-5 GS AWD (8.0/6.4 l/100km) or a new F-150 XLT Super Cab 4X4 Long-box with 5L engine (15/10.5 l/100km). The best I can figure my current Explorer gets about 17/13 l/100km.

The Mazda would be a compromise in a lot of ways and I would definitely loose some utility. I think I could live with that for the fuel economy but I would be concerned about its durability on rough northern roads (I live near Flin-Flon, MB and do a lot of work in Pelican Narrows, SK with occasional trips out to LaRonge, Beauval, etc. These roads kill trucks if you are not careful, let alone unibody cross-overs.)

The truck would be ideal in a lot of ways but where the CX-5 would pay for itself in fuel savings over 5 years the truck wouldn’t even come close. Here is where the forums come in. If I did end up getting the truck I would probably build an aero-cap, have a removable partial grill block and possibly build a custom bumper with a retractable air-dam. With these mods would I really see a fuel efficiency increase of ~20% like some threads would suggest?

It seems fantastical to see a full sized truck with 5L engine and 4x4 getting less than 9l/100km on the highway but if it is possible without loosing capabilities or utility it is making the truck option look mighty tempting.

You can see some of my logic behind going with an F-150 on this thread. [www(dot)unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92050] Go ahead and try to talk me into something else. My path is not set at this point but will probably pull the trigger on a new vehicle around the start of June.