View Single Post
Old 04-28-2012, 05:41 AM   #3 (permalink)
Saskwatchian
EcoModding Apprentice

Eric's Explorer - '01 Ford Explorer Sport 4x4
90 day: 19.05 mpg (US)

E's V - '07 Nissan Versa SL
90 day: 33.11 mpg (US)
Fuel efficiency is not my main criteria but as you point out, I drive a lot. (km, not miles BTW)

Here is what I posted as my criteria when looking for suggestions on a different (non-car) forum in February.

Quote:
My ideal vehicle would have:
4x4 with limited slip/locking differentials (or at least AWD)
Hold 4 adults comfortably with equipment/luggage
Have at least 6' of flat cargo room in the back with seats folded/removed
Hold a 36" unicycle in the back with the wheel vertical
Rated to tow moderate loads (16' boat, trailer with two snowmobiles, etc)
Comfortable for driver (and hopefully the passengers too) on *long* rides
Decent fuel economy
Tough enough that I can drive on northern "roads" without it falling apart.
start well in the cold
Not cost an arm and a leg
It is true I don't NEED a truck but ever since switching to an SUV from a truck I have been missing the utility of an open bed. All the modern body on frame SUVs are ridiculously expensive and get worse milage than a F-150 so if I want durability I figure why not go for a truck.

If I just stayed in Sask it would be an easy choice but then part of the reason I have so many kilometres on the Explorer is that I have a seasonal job and like to go on a road-trip before or after (or before and after) work for the summer. After work last year I went down to California and ended up going up the EAST coast on my way back home to western Canada. Combine trips like that and the occasional 1500-2500km round trips to see friends on days off and you get 60-65 000 km/year quite easily. For the long trips on good roads the more efficient CX-5 makes a lot more sense.