View Single Post
Old 04-28-2012, 12:13 PM   #39 (permalink)
t vago
MPGuino Supporter

iNXS - '10 Opel Zafira 111 Anniversary

Suzi - '02 Suzuki Swift GL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
This will be the isolated corner where we can throw mud at each other. It will be invisible to noobs and search engine bots, there will be a minimum post count and/or time since registered to come in here. Plus all posts will be deleted after 3 months.

Can we do this?
You're basically talking about a "fight club" thread.

That won't work. They require very active moderation, and I severely doubt this board's admin team has the will to do this day in and day out, 24/7. I ought to know - I am a site admin for another car board, and I frequent still other vehicle boards. To date, I have yet to be kicked out of one.

It's been my experience that "fight club" threads (or forums) do allow venting of vitriol. However, they seldom limit the expression of bad feelings to be within said "fight club" area. Eventually, words are spoken, and feelings are hurt to the point where no matter what a poster has said anywhere else on that board, their adversary will also post to somehow refute the poster. The poster could even post something as simple and non-threatening as "I love kittens!" or some similar sentiment - that poster's adversary would come up with some personal attack that drags the feelings of the fight club thread into this other thread.

And the admin team? They simply won't care. No, it's not a slam against the admin team - really, they won't care. They're not really going to take the time to wade through all of the muck to determine who was right and who was wrong - not when all they see is the quality and stench of the muck in the first place. Oh, maybe they will... at first. However, when faced with "fight club" posts, day in and day out, with all sorts of bitterness both large and small, ranging from easily understandable to incomprehensible, the admin team will itself become insensitive. It's human nature. So, eventually, it will get to the point where the "fight club" thread spills out into the rest of the board.

Finally, deleting posts seldom works because a lot of bitterness can be said within the post life, and said bitterness will last well beyond the post's deletion.

What would I suggest instead? A more active admin team that catches these bad feelings well before they spill all over this board.