View Single Post
Old 04-29-2012, 09:39 AM   #3 (permalink)
UltArc
Hydrogen > EV

Silver Flea - '05 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.96 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by euromodder View Post
Welcome to ecomodder.

Not all tips will work for everyone, nor all the time.
Pick what tips you could easily do, when those become new habits, pick some more items from the list of hypermiling tips.

I regularly go over the list, and see what more I can / am prepared to do.

Over time, you'll find that even when you're driving "normally" instead of hypermiling, you'll still use less fuel than when driving "normally" before.

The low speeds and short accelerations can compensate for the more stop & go nature of city driving.

With a warm engine, my remaining range estimate no longer drops like a stone in city driving either
It's all due to how one drives the vehicle.

Apparently, when you want to, they can be driven with quite good mpg despite their sporty nature.

Has anyone made one that really works ?

We've seen some hefty claims about greatly improved fuel economy, but AFAIK nothing that's backed up with hard evidence over a suitable period of time.

Manufacturers already take serious care of how the air and fuel end up in the cilinder.
It's not something that'll easily be bettered by some simple means - if it was that easy, these parts would be on the car already

Most if not all of this can be either done in a reversible way, or stealthy on the inside of the car so it doesn't plainly show.

A lot of my adaptations will be easily visible outside. I'd rather not my vehicle look like it's modified or messed with, but since its tasteful, it sholdn't be too bad. If I use a difuser, that will be visible, also an air dam/splitter. Mirror changes, too. My biggest concern is the filling of gaps in panels.

I desire to fill them, and I've rad silicone works, but I am concerned about that whole process. Though this is my purpose for joining, to learn from everyone here.

As for air spinners, I completely respect andundestand your point. Every part is valid, but I stil have hope. My reason for not mentioning a brand is that I am not set on one, nor do I have any experience of it working. And I planned to research here, and researd it accordingly on my list-in expense order.

I am a fan of your vehicles, I very much like the Volvo line. I do prefer the cross country line, but if one doesn't have a real need for all wheel drive, then it is just a waste of fuel.