View Single Post
Old 04-29-2012, 02:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
HemiX2
MBZ and MOPARS

New Guy with Two Hemi's

Hi all!! Everyone says why do you buy gas guzzlers and expect half way decent economy? For me, I've always loved the power, but loved a little economy too. Sometimes it's kind of difficult to get to that point though. I have taken it as a challenge, and that is one reason I signed up here. I am hoping to get some pointers to further my quest. About 95+% of my driving is at ~2400-5000 feet elevation. A quick summary of what I have, and I am up against, especially for highway driving:

--Hemi (w/Multi-Displacement System) Dodge Magnum bought new and got 24 mpg at best with 87 fuel. Weighs ~4200 lbs. Now, on a day without headwinds and mountains, it gets no less than 27 mpg, and usually 28-30 mpg using 85, 87, 89, and/or 91 fuel, depending on the type driving and altitude I'll be driving at.

--Hemi (w/MDS) Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland bought used and got 18 mpg with 87 fuel when I bought it. Weighs ~4800 lbs. Now, on a day without headwinds and mountains, it gets no less than 20 mpg, and usually 22-23 mpg using 85, 87, 89 and/or 91 fuel, again depending on the type driving and altitude I'll be driving at.

I am looking forward to hearing suggestions from forum members on how to improve these numbers. Thanks for allowing me to become a member.