View Single Post
Old 04-30-2012, 07:47 PM   #198 (permalink)
IamIan
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmiller100 View Post
interesting engine.
I agree.

But like any 'prototype' ... it will be years before it is available ... if it even makes it at all.

Right now the prototype has decent performance ... ~20HP from ~20 Lbs ~140cc engine ... I wish they would have published with the other SAE stuff the BSFC chart , not just an average efficiency ... I would have liked to see the efficiency distribution over different load and rpm ranges from a BSFC chart.

Although it is their first prototype ... so maybe more details in a year or two , as they make refinements and such.

Quote:
I'm a little puzzled how they are going to "overexpand" down to atmospheric pressures, unless they leave the exhaust valve open on the compression stroke?
near atmospheric is different than at atmospheric ... for example what do they mean by 'near'.

In this case the current prototype undergoing testing has a ~1.5 over expansion ratio ... meaning that the expansion ratio is about ~1.5x more than the compression ratio... this is how they get to those lower pressures ... how close they get to atmospheric will depend.

Remember this is a hybrid cycle engine ... in it's operation it combines elements of the Oto cycle , the Diesel cycle , the Atkinson cycle , and the Rankine cycle ... it tries to combine all 4 into one engine cycle that has the best net results... or at least that's the intent.

Quote:
For that matter, they could run this thing as a 2 stroke with a separate combustion chamber.
I'm not clear on what you are fore seeing here? Can you elaborate?