View Single Post
Old 04-30-2012, 08:01 PM   #17 (permalink)
Christ
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderofBikes View Post
So... for ATs
Could it be that the AT/converter reaches a "lockup" state sooner, based on the effort needed by the engine to maintain a given speed?

Less load= less required power= lower rpm to do the same amount of work?
I know gearing and ratios are in there somewhere...

But then what is the correlation from an up-right riding position to tucking, and gaining anywhere between 1-5mph without changing throttle position with an MT? when were talking about stock gearing/ratios... i know it should be constant regardless... but this is not what im experiencing, im experiencing a gain in speed in this instance.

Maybe im just not getting IT
Lockup puts the torque converter in a 1:1 state with the engine and gear train, so no, even if it locked up sooner, it would still maintain RPM/speed relationship.

I'm not sure about the details of his specific transmission. If it's an electronic CVT with 6 "speed" settings, that would definitely change it. I somehow doubt this is the case, but it's wholly possible.

I'd need to know more about his specific setup to know for sure why that happened.

The other option is that potentially higher load gave a false reading on the tach by 100 RPM, or that lower load is giving a reading 100RPM lower. Without a calibrated gauge, 100 RPM is sneezable.