View Single Post
Old 04-30-2012, 08:36 PM   #165 (permalink)
oldbeaver
EcoModding Apprentice

Mercedes 89 D - '89 Mercedes 300 E
90 day: 33.86 mpg (US)

Skodie - '09 Skoda Octavia TDI PD
90 day: 38.84 mpg (US)

1993 Mercedes 300D Turbo - '93 Mercedes Benz 300D Turbo W124
90 day: 26.19 mpg (US)

Crossie - '16 Subaru XV Crosstreak
90 day: 9.61 mpg (US)

Crossie - '16 Subaru XV Crosstreak
90 day: 33.34 mpg (US)
Clever use of cruise control

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjspiess View Post
The only instrumentation I have is an MPGuino. This is a devise mainly for OBDI vehicles to show live MPG. So when I say "set the cruise at 60 mpg", I get up to 57 mph let off the gas slightly, but still maintaining 57 mph I can push Set on my cruise control when the MPGuino shows that I am currently getting 60 mpg. Once I do this, the cruise locks in at that given engine load because the cruise is hooked to the Ford MAP sensor measuring the engine vacuum. The cruise then maintains 60 mpg. It fluctuates between 57-61 mpg.

It should be noted that I have a highly modified '95 Geo Metro which allows me to lock into such a high MPG at a higher rate of speed. Here is a list of everything I've done to help improve gas mileage: MPGuino, Passenger Mirror Delete, Retracted Radio Antenna, Removed Side Trim, Aero Windshield Wipers, Clear Plastic Headlight Covers, Disabled DRL, Full/Partial Grill Block (depending on time of year), Rear Tire Spats, Front/Rear Belly Pan, Rear Wheel Skirts, Front Wheel Arch Gap Fillers, Sealed Headlight Gaps, Partial Kammback, XFi Camshaft with 60A +2* Sproket, Advanced Ignition Timing 8* BTDC, Hot Air Intake Tricker, Coolant Temperature Sensor Tricker, Full Synthetic 5W30 Oil, Aluminum Underdrive Pulley, XFi 3.79 Transmission, Pennzoil Synchromesh Transmission Fluid, Solar 12v Assist, 50 PSI Tire Pressure 155/80R/13, '99 Hyundai Accent 12 lbs. Rims & MPG Sensative Cruise Control
I think you are making a clever use of the cruise control. However, you donīt mention if you are looking mean mpg or instant mpg of MPguino.

If you are using mean yield, I can tell you that always the mpg yield will converge to a mean value. After a long run, it will be difficult to alter that value.

Use instant mpg instead, and you will see that it variates A LOT depending on almost any factor, even if you keep the throttle fix, or if you set cruise control. And I mean A LOT.

However, if you look the MEAN mpg over a long run, it may seem to you that you can control mpg yield with the throttle, but this is an ilusion.

Anyway, what you are doing with the cruise is smart: seek a desired mpg, once you get it, set a cruise speed, and keep it. It should yield the same mpg if the road conditions do not variate and IF you show MEAN mpg on the display.

Best,

OldBeaver