View Single Post
Old 04-30-2012, 09:30 PM   #166 (permalink)
mjspiess
EcoModding Lurker

The Blue Bomber - '95 Geo Metro
90 day: 52.09 mpg (US)
That is the next experiment. Does this actually improve gas mileage over a full tank of gas? Now that I can easily switch back and forth from MAP to VSS, I'll run a few tanks with MAP only & a few tanks with VSS only and see what happens. Like you've pointed out, during usual cruise, my MPG would get as low as 34 mpg on the longest steepest hill and well into the 100s on the down side of the hills with stretches in the 40s, mainly in the 50s, some in the 60s and on rare occasions some in the 70s. It seems to me, it prob. all averages out. The MAP sensor mod might edge it out over the long haul. We shall see

As far as a "safety" preference, it'd prob. be best to use the MAP on side/back roads where you don't experience much traffic behind you and VSS on highway when some people can approach your rear pretty quickly. Once I get a good feel for when the MAP vs VSS is most beneficial, I'll prob. do just that. VSS on highway & MAP on side/back roads since most side/back roads tend to be more hilly and on my particular commute, it was more difficult to make my MPG continue to climb from exiting the highway.