View Single Post
Old 04-30-2012, 09:44 PM   #167 (permalink)
oldbeaver
EcoModding Apprentice

Mercedes 89 D - '89 Mercedes 300 E
90 day: 33.86 mpg (US)

Skodie - '09 Skoda Octavia TDI PD
90 day: 38.84 mpg (US)

1993 Mercedes 300D Turbo - '93 Mercedes Benz 300D Turbo W124
90 day: 26.19 mpg (US)

Crossie - '16 Subaru XV Crosstreak
90 day: 9.61 mpg (US)

Crossie - '16 Subaru XV Crosstreak
90 day: 33.34 mpg (US)
Cruise control with sensitive logic MAP vs VSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjspiess View Post
That is the next experiment. Does this actually improve gas mileage over a full tank of gas? Now that I can easily switch back and forth from MAP to VSS, I'll run a few tanks with MAP only & a few tanks with VSS only and see what happens. Like you've pointed out, during usual cruise, my MPG would get as low as 34 mpg on the longest steepest hill and well into the 100s on the down side of the hills with stretches in the 40s, mainly in the 50s, some in the 60s and on rare occasions some in the 70s. It seems to me, it prob. all averages out. The MAP sensor mod might edge it out over the long haul. We shall see

As far as a "safety" preference, it'd prob. be best to use the MAP on side/back roads where you don't experience much traffic behind you and VSS on highway when some people can approach your rear pretty quickly. Once I get a good feel for when the MAP vs VSS is most beneficial, I'll prob. do just that. VSS on highway & MAP on side/back roads since most side/back roads tend to be more hilly and on my particular commute, it was more difficult to make my MPG continue to climb from exiting the highway.
Sorry MjSpiess, I am slow today. Can you explain a little more what is VSS and what is MAP in yr experiment?

I saw you take both signals from somewhere and now are able to use one or the other to do something. I think to set cruise control ON.

However, I am not clear if you are using the "keep speed constant" as control logic, or if you have programmed a different logic for cruise control, such as the one Jomel Maldonado developed and showed in this Forum.

Please, clarify these three things, so that I can follow and participate.

Tks, OldBeaver

Last edited by oldbeaver; 04-30-2012 at 09:45 PM.. Reason: mistake