View Single Post
Old 05-01-2012, 01:40 AM   #12 (permalink)
Saskwatchian
EcoModding Apprentice

Eric's Explorer - '01 Ford Explorer Sport 4x4
90 day: 19.05 mpg (US)

E's V - '07 Nissan Versa SL
90 day: 33.11 mpg (US)
I am going to go test drive some F150s this weekend and a CX-5 (and probably a few other vehicles) when I go south before the long weekend.

The last Ranger sold a couple days ago so I won't get to drive it at the same time as the 1/2 tons.

I am going to give the 3.7L engine a shot and see how it feels empty and with a quad in the back. Probably do the same with the 5.0 and ecoboost.

The big problem with the 3.7 (if it doesn't feel underpowered) is the lack of a LS/locking differential option. Other than the dismal fuel economy of my current ride open differentials are one of its major pitfalls.

I have always owned body on frame vehicles (other than briefly owning a lifted Jeep Grand Cherokees) so am really not sure what I will think of the CX-5 when I get to test it. Who knows, maybe I will love it and thoughts of trucks will disappear. I am also concerned I will break stuff and it will be more expensive to fix.

If I got the Mazda I don't think I would change anything on it for fuel efficiency, but if I got the truck there are so many things to try.

EDIT:
[RANT]I wish everyone would agree on one efficiency measurement. MPGs are stupidly confusing here in Canada since the older people and manufacturers tend to use imperial gallons, but not always, while the younger crowd tends to use US gallons, unless they grew up on a farm...

I like my L/100km nice and unambiguous.[/RANT]

Last edited by Saskwatchian; 05-01-2012 at 01:46 AM..