View Single Post
Old 05-01-2012, 10:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Christ
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Grille block - Coroplast behind the grille. Nobody will see it.

Try water injection, it might work out for you. Remove the vacuum pump from the motor and grab an electric vacuum pump, pressure switch, and reservoir, or just switch to manual brakes. I can't remember how the AHU develops vacuum, but I believe it's the same as my old Golf D 1.6NA, with a vane pump attached to the oil pump. Open the lid, remove the vanes (they slide out) and put the lid back on, then leave about an inch of hose connected and screw a bolt into it, or remove the hose and put a cap on the nipple.

Boost will enhance the efficiency of the diesel. The KKK K03 turbo from a New Beetle bolts on and no intercooler is necessary for low boost, you just need to turn the fuel up to compensate for it. Don't turn it up until you see the haze unless you want more power, just get it to that point, then back it off slightly. You'll just be using less pedal when driving normally.

Electrical mods. You dont' need the radiator fan unless you drive in heavy traffic or let the engine idle frequently. Based on your current reported numbers, I doubt either is the case. If you want protection from overheating, install a tube with holes that will spray water at the radiator and another washer fluid reservoir/pump. If you notice the temps climbing, spray the water to insta-cool the radiator. If it happens frequently, reinstall the radiator fan.

If you don't use accessories frequently, consider an alternator delete and a deep cycle battery or two. Added weight, yes, but the draw removed from the engine will more than make up for it. If you do this, I suggest you pop start as often as possible to keep the starter draw off the system, and mind your night driving (headlights).

I'm fairly certain you don't have PS, but if you do, get rid of it. It's not necessary on such a light car. Best bet is to swap in a manual rack, but looping the hoses works as well. More weight lost there, as well as parasitic engine drag.

Advance the fuel timing. You'll get a more complete burn, more power, and better economy.