View Single Post
Old 05-02-2012, 03:57 PM   #25 (permalink)
Doni_99
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofdiesel View Post
... Remove your exhaust-straight pipe all the way, seriously there could be 10kg of soot trapped in your exhaust pull it and try no muffler, if you cannot live with the sound get a free flowing muffler only nothing more. I loved the sound of my 1.6 D jetta with no muffler, it was loud but not loudest on the road nor droaning on the highway, it was straight all the way out back.
I did these things to a 1987 Jetta non turbo diesel, top speed went from 125km/h to 160, fuel range went from 900 to 1400kms on 55L it was great until the drivers seat fell out at 450000kms. I did not have to drive terrible slow to get great range either, 120km/h would result in 1250kms to a tank, slow down to 95 and get 1400.
The basics are let the engine breath both in and out, tune it well (timing and nozzles), lower the rpms, free up the demands (fan, tires etc)
This result's amazed me. So did you remove the whole exhaust system?
Where was the end of the pipe? Just behind the engine?
Perhaps the free flowing muffler will be the right solution for me because of the expected rise of noise. It would not disturbe me, but my wife and maybe policemen...
Is the free flowing muffler equal with a straight pipe? I must look after it.

Intake. I tried direct filter, but I felt no change in fc.

Diff: Currently I use diff with a 3,73 ratio. The "longest" is 3,31. It is very rare in Hungary, but I hunt for one.
There is another solution to drop rmp: one of my friend plans to make a 5+OD transmission.

Thanks once more!
Doni_99