View Single Post
Old 06-02-2008, 12:10 PM   #44 (permalink)
Xringer
Old Retired R&D Dude

Little Red - '12 Toyota Prius c 2 Two
90 day: 57.82 mpg (US)

"Whitey" Bulger - '14 Toyota RAV4 LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_socket View Post
I would think that the difference of hub cap design would depend on the vehicle in question. Has anybody seen tuft testing done for stock vs disc on a particular vehicle? Has anybody seen windtunnel tests at highway speeds for the same?

I'm not sure what the yarn would look like on a moon disc. But my guess is,
it would lay down in a spiral and maybe outwards towards the tips.
Depending on the yarn's weight or if a circular laminar air layer would exist on the surface of the disc.?.
Maybe do it small scale with a drill and sanding disk? Or glue a 14" coroplas disk on top of the sanding disk?

Somewhere, I've seen spinning disks where paint (in the center) flowed out to the edges, but I can't recall what the results looked like!

--

Would the wheels need to be spinning while the car was in a wind tunnel??

I think some wheels are designed to allow air to flow over disk brakes, for cooling. Maybe even force the air around the discs. With spokes acting like fan blades.

I wonder what mine are doing with the air?

Does centrifugal force (in the middle inside) fling air towards the outside of the rim? Where it exits out those 8 holes? Where it will have a dirtying effect on the air flow passing by the car?

I'm just trying to imagine what the turbulence and drag would be like, if I cut a round 2" hole in the vertical stabilizer on a model RC glider??
I'm almost positive it would have a very detrimental effect on airspeed, and the amount of control provided by the rudder..

----

I've seen pictures of those little Honda hub holes being taped over.. I'll bet there is some small positive affect.

Now I'm wondering if Zig-Zag tape just forward of the wheel wells would do anything for the cd.?.

Cheers,
Rich

Current ride: 2014 RAV4 LE AWD (24 MPG)

Wife's Pizza Transporter