View Single Post
Old 05-04-2012, 01:53 AM   #1 (permalink)
Midnight Drifter
EcoModding Lurker

Ho-Sook - '10 Hyundai Accent GS
New member; few options?

Hi, everyone. My name is Drifter. I've come here because I'm trying to help out someone very dear to me. She's in a pretty rough spot right now; $400 to her name, her next paycheck is a week away, car insurance is due in 10 days and her car is blowing up (piston slap that has descended into a rod knock). I spent the last week looking at replacement car for less than the cost of a new engine, since a new engine costs twice what she paid for the car. I finally found a car with a low enough pricetag to suit our budget worth its value - perhaps even more than its value, since it was only $500.

Here's what we're dealing with, Ecomodders: A 1987 Ford Aerostar.

The Pros:
-1-owner van, regularly maintained since her late husband bought it as a birthday present for her in 1987
-Low mileage; the 5-digit odometer says 97,000 and as little as I've seen that thing driven over the years, I'm positive it's original.
-It has the 3.0L "Vulcan" V6. Multi-port fuel injection is far superior to the Cologne's 2-barrel carburetor setup
-It's rear wheel drive; less drivetrain drag than AWD
-It's a short-body. The longer Aerostars that were introduced in '90 were notably heavier.

The Cons:
-It's an Aerostar. They were never famous for outstanding fuel efficiency, although it does bear incredible efficiency in other departments.
-It's automatic. The driver does not feel comfortable driving stick vehicles, so we must deal with the mechanical losses of an AT.
-It's not a 2.3; Early Aerostars had the 2.3 Ranger motor, although they're nearly extinct today. Much better EPA ratings
-It's a van. Its body cannot be shaped or grafted like a sedan with a trunk by adding 'enhancements'.

Well, I hope you guys have something for me. EPA ratings on this beast are 15/20. She doesn't drive city or highway - she drives 'country' - 30 minute commute @ 35-45 MPH with about 8 stops. My goal is 30 MPG. I don't know if it's impossible, but let me know what I can do!