View Single Post
Old 05-05-2012, 12:16 AM   #1 (permalink)
81rabbitdiesel
EcoModding Lurker

DaRabbit - '81 Volkswagen Rabbit LS
90 day: 60.03 mpg (US)
light weight car? suggestions (for removing weight from 81 VW Rabbit diesel)

Hi Guys,

I am thinking about possibly cutting some of my car away to lose some weight. Its a 81, 4 door rabbit diesel with hardly any rust anywhere its the one in my pic. I have 2 aluminum small truck camper tops that i can cut up to use to replace a lot of the cars heavy metal.

I was thinking about getting rid of the back door glass and the rear hatch and probably about 2/3rds of the roof and using one of the camper tops to close it all in . i am guessing this would be around a 200 or so pound weight loss. I thought of using part of the other camper top to make a front air dam for the car and a underbelly. It gets really hot down here in east texas so im a bit worried about doing to much of a grill block.

I am wanting to bust 70 mpgs with this car. heck 100 would be better but i dont think in this hill country thats gonna be to easy. One other option for weight reduction would be make it like a mini truck and just cut the back end off from the door glass up and use the camper shell to close in the back of the cap since it has the right small rear window set up already built in. I even thought about drilling holes in some of the metal to lighten it up.

I dont think i can get many more mpgs from the car with my driving habbits...... heck i would make most gramdma /grandpa drivers look like speed demons LOL.

any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks for reading, Don