Thread: Tire Width
View Single Post
Old 06-02-2008, 02:44 PM   #8 (permalink)
beatr911
Master EcoModder

B2300 - '96 Mazda B2300 SE

Focus - '05 Ford Focus ST

The red car - '00 Honda Insight
louisb323, we went from 225/60-16 to 215/65-16 on our Odyssey. Handling was only a little less precise probably due to tire design more than anything else. Max lateral grip is almost never tested anyway so it isn't really a factor. As the wife doesn't always check mileage and drives it 90% of the time it's hard to get a good reading. Based upon our log it is looking like an average of less than .5 mpg but this also factors in different tire design so it is a pretty sketchy number.

Lots of little things add up, this one will help but you'll never see a big mpg increase from tires.

If you can, do a comparison and post it. It would be beneficial for everyone if you could post a comparison between what you've got now and a LRR tire that is 1 or 2 sizes skinnier. I would think the difference would be measurable and beyond the background noise of the test itsself. If you can't find a LRR tire, select whatever skinnier tire and compare, not all of us can find LRR tires in the required size iether.

Personally, I buy good used tires in sets from our local used tire dealer. Like 1/4 the cost of new, way more cost efficent than even a LRR tire. Yeah, I'm cheap.

Last edited by beatr911; 06-02-2008 at 02:47 PM.. Reason: clarification