View Single Post
Old 05-05-2012, 09:36 AM   #1 (permalink)
chrisgerman1983
EcoModding Apprentice

chrisgerman1983 - '96 chevrolet astro
90 day: 14.02 mpg (US)
confessions from a reformed @$%$# driver

Hi everyone! just wanted to share a bit of my story in how I have smartened up on my driving and my attempt to be environmentally responsible. Until recently I have not cared about how much gas or tires I burned up. I have always accelerated hard and braked hard. Whenever somebody would mention fuel economy I would often joke that if we are going to run out of oil then I am going to get my share before we do Until recently my vehicles have always been viewed and driven as toys. almost all have had straight pipes with no cats and any of that "silly emissions crap" removed. One of my cars, an 85 cutlass supreme with a SB 400 and 3.73 gears... I kept track of my MPG on a tank and got just over 6 mpg... admittedly it was my favorite car... Now I am going to try and make up for the way I have been My van is now a tool and the size is a necessary evil. I am going to attempt to do as good as I can in it though within reason anyway unless I can think of a way to store cabinetry in a boatail i don't think i will be adding one to the Astro This is my first week practicing my hypermilling and after a week of driving my gas gauge is just at the full line usually i would be at the 3/4 by now... so huge improvement just by learning to drive all over again. It has been hard though I think it is ingrained in my DNA to drive quickly... recovery will be a long road