View Single Post
Old 05-05-2012, 10:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
SCNTN
EcoModding Lurker

SC1 - '02 Saturn SC1
Team Saturn
90 day: 41.8 mpg (US)

DaGnoma - '02 GMC Sonoma SL
Pickups
90 day: 25.03 mpg (US)
Smile Ending the lurking...

Hi, everyone. I've been browsing the forum for a while now, and finally decided to join up. I have a little '02 Saturn SC1, SOHC auto that I've always viewed as economical, but felt it could improve. I seem to remember getting better mileage when I purchased the car (new in May of 03, at a great discount). Back then I did a great amount of city driving and very little highway, probably 90/10 city/hwy. Since then, I've moved way past the burbs and that ratio is completely reversed. I blamed ethanol for a while, but it wasn't until I took my foot off of the gas pedal that I really noticed a difference. A heavy foot makes all the difference in the world in this car. Previously, I would average about 27-30mpg combined. My last tank was just a few miles short of 40mpg. Granted, this car has no "fancy" gauges other than a tach and my butt. I see a scangauge and a smoother air dam in the near future, helping me to push 45mpg and beyond. Thanks to you guys, I've already learned that the best eco-mod of all is just to change your driving mindset and habits, and in the past two tanks of gas I'm getting 33% better fuel economy than before.