Thread: HiLoMag
View Single Post
Old 05-05-2012, 11:51 PM   #17 (permalink)
Grant-53
Master EcoModder

The issue is the G loads plus the visual cues. The Thruway turn radii were too tight for the speed even with banking. I have flown in small aircraft so I know how it feels. The visual cues are amazing important. At the 1967 Montreal world's fair we did the theater in the round with 360 degree cameras. One scene was from the inside of a small plane and when it banked a boy in the audience fell off the hand rail where he was perched. I was standing and grabbed a hand rail to steady myself.
As for being sick in a car, even some mildly spirited driving on a twisty road has my wife and kids begging me to slow down. Only professional drivers get to go 250 mph on banked turns so it is rather like saying no fighter pilots every get air sick. Being in control and anticipating what will happen next seems to be a factor as well. These factors are noted whether on the ground, on the water, or in the air. They will need to be adressed to the extent the riding public finds acceptable. At one point ABB was experimenting with a rail car that tilts during banking.