View Single Post
Old 05-06-2012, 03:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
mans
EcoModding Lurker

Simple but very promising ecomod. will it work?

The 4 cylinder engine in my car currently allows it to average like 29 mpg city/hwy. engine produces 125 hp.

So I thought to myself, it shouldn't be too difficult to knock out 2 cylinders:

disconnect (#1)FUEL INJECTOR ELECTRICAL CONNECTOR and remove (#2)SPARK PLUG from #2 and #4 cylinders.
open valve cover and remove (#3)valve TAPPETS from #2 and #4 cylinders so the flow inside the intake manifold won't be disturbed.

we now have a 2 cylinder engine that should give about 60 hp...enough to drive anywhere. the o2 sensor should continue to measure out the fuel as necessary to the #1 and #3 cylinders as everything is all the same, there is just less of it. I don't believe the computer can detect how much flow there is in the exhaust pipe, it can only detect how rich or lean it is.

we will need to adjust the idle cuz the factory idle will now be a little high for only 2 cylinders.

simply unplugging fuel injector clips makes the car run lousy, but I think that is due to: 1. not removing the spark plugs, and 2. not having romoved the valve tappets on the necessary cylinder. if those valves continue to open and close, the engine wouldn't be able to run well on the other cylinders . (correct???)

good idea???
will it work???
I should be able to get around on half the fuel !! car is a manual trans too!