View Single Post
Old 05-06-2012, 06:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
E0 91 octane versus E10 87 octane

For two months I have been trying some E0 91 octane fuel to see if there is a significant difference in mileage in my vehicles. The Vulcan 500 seems to like E10 regular better. Not sure about the Fiesta, it still has one tank of E0 left. With the price of gas dropping here the difference is price is getting to be larger and I want to try E10 for a while to see what the difference in mileage works out to be.

The bike reaches a point in the RPM range where it runs very smooth at about 50 MPH on E0. At lower speeds you can feel it acting like it is lugging, while on the E10 it will run smoothly down to 30 in 6th gear. It seems like the peak combustion pressure is later with the 91 E0 than it is with the 87 E10. Slightly faster initial combustion and higher pressure earlier seems to be what is happening.

It won't be that scientific with too many other variables, but I can tell you on the bike, I could ride it and tell you if it was one fuel or the other, it's that obvious. It even made a significant difference when I just put half a tank of E10 in it yesterday.

When regular was closing in on $3.90 a gallon the $4.09 for E0 was not that much difference in price but yesterday I bought regular for $3.59 a gallon. It will be interesting to see what the difference in mileage will be in the Fiesta.

regards
Mech