View Single Post
Old 05-07-2012, 01:20 PM   #11 (permalink)
rmay635703
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbaker View Post
Ryan, you are a genius! Thanks for taking the time to respond.
Charley
LoL!

Try the 60psi first, if your batteries are balanced and in good shape that change ALONE will take the car from a 24mph top speed to roughly 28-32mph top speed. Although it takes forever to get there. Your tires are rated for 44psi up to a rather high speed, at 25-35mph besides the bouncing the tires will wear well and last a very long time at 60psi.

Once you get into the field reduction thing...
I can provide suggestions on what to use for field reduction, my car has less field reduction now and an on/off switch and contactor, I have been tempted to go back to the huge amount of field reduction I used to run (actually it was more efficient oddly) but the system has worked and the car moves well enough for putting through the 25mph streets around town.

Otherwise a transmission is pretty sweet and they aren't real expensive if you can find one locally at least. I cant help much on that side though.

I have always figured inevitably the ZX40 my father has will get turned into a DIY chevy volt with either a diesel or CNG 5k genset off the back on a trailer hitch rack.

Also one thing I forgot to mention, if you have the big motor take care not to go much faster than 35mph because your motor is only rated to 5000rpms, the little motor is rated to 6250rpms which is about 46mph using of coarse the stock 2nd gear we are stuck with.

Good Luck
Ryan