View Single Post
Old 05-07-2012, 07:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crono
EcoModding Lurker

Pizza Geo - '92 Geo Metro
Last 3: 47.52 mpg (US)

Blazing Glory - '07 Yamaha C3
90 day: 108.96 mpg (US)

The Beast - '86 Pontiac Subird
90 day: 15.6 mpg (US)

Mom's Firefly - '92 Pontiac Firefly
90 day: 35.65 mpg (US)

Noris - '08 Toyota Yaris
90 day: 35.45 mpg (US)

Mirage - '15 Mitsubishi Mirage
90 day: 48.11 mpg (US)

Japan - '08 Suzuki Alto
90 day: 45.88 mpg (US)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
The only reason I might caution someone against doing the 3.52 swap is if they happen to live in a VERY hilly place (it takes a bit more clutch slipping to get going in 1st gear), or if you do predominantly start/stop urban driving. You get most of your benefit from this swap by cruising in top gear at a lower engine RPM for a given road speed than you could before.
Hmmm, I see what you're saying. Well, I do live in a bit of a hilly urban area, (Victoria) and I do a bit more "demanding" driving (I deliver pizza for about 70% of my kms) so I suppose I do appreciate the little bit of torque I have right now, but, at the same time I do a fair bit of my driving in top gear as well, so I think I would see some benefit from it.

I find that before I swapped cams had to be going about 60km/hr to get into 5th comfortably on flat ground and now it's more like 50km/hr, would swapping to the 4 cylinder transmission make it feel more or less like it used to with the old cam, in terms of when I'd be shifting? If that's the case I'm pretty sure I'd be alright.

[edit]

I should add that I find my shifting speeds to feel super short ever since I swapped the cam, I'm usually in 3rd gear by the time I clear an intersection from a stop...

Last edited by Crono; 05-07-2012 at 07:51 PM..