View Single Post
Old 05-07-2012, 10:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
HilseeJ
EcoModding Lurker

TBA - '07 Honda Fit
The debate on clutch wear has been discussed in previous threads and the common belief (on this forum) is that clutch starting is safe for the transmission/clutch as long as it is done smoothly. I will admit that there are times where I don't clutch start as smoothly as I should but, as with many things involving cars, you should be able to intuit via the sound and feel of the clutch start as to whether it's doing your car harm.

As far as coasting to a red light, waiting for it to turn green, and then starting your engine from that point - I personally would argue that it doesn't sound like a good idea.

There are several things regarding what you said I disagree with:

Quote:
"it's better to just start the car using the starter(key) when the light turns green"
This will cause a delay with the people behind you, which could be argued as a safety issue. And then, let's say your starter dies at the red light. Now that's a safety issue.

Quote:
But i figured it will cost me about $100 to replace a starter
Plus the labor invested, plus you being stranded without a working car, possibly missing work, etc. Also, it's debatable as to whether you're just wearing the starter. Someone above posted that it might wear the battery as well. Alternator charges battery... etc.

Quote:
and assuming it will give me about 7000 starts
Keyword: assuming

Anyways, I know it looks like I shredded your logic apart, but really it's up for debate. This is only my opinion. There are no ten commandments of hypermiling. (except for these ).

Anyways, since you said that you're basically breaking even, why bother risking it? We're talking about potentially putting wear on 1 item (the clutch), versus potentially putting wear on quite a few items (battery, alternator, starter).

Anyone else have thoughts on this? I was actually surprised when I opened this post and I saw people condoning this practice but hey, I'm just a lurker (for now ).