View Single Post
Old 05-07-2012, 10:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
Treeview
EcoModding Lurker

Newbie who drives a brick!

Hi,

I've lurked and read threads for a while. Now its time to uncloak.

Hypermiling isn't a new thing to me...getting good mileage out of the practical vehicles I drive is. During the mid-70's energy 'crisis' I installed a large vacuum gauge in my '66 F250 pickup. That taught me how to accelerate slowly to maximize engine efficiency. I read what that good a driving model is to drive like you don't have breaks. Simple.

Over the years I've had to drive boxes because of my work as an arborist. Having vans and pickups also makes them easy for camping. Now, I have an '89 Toyota that started life as a Uhaul box. It looks like this---[edit---I have to make 5 posts before I can add a link...pffft!] Well...if you want to see what it looks like Google 'Toyota Uhaul' and go to 'Images'

Terrible aerodynamics! I'm thinking of many streamlining ideas but I don't have a clue what has been tried. Closing the air gaps between the cab and the box in front seems like a good place to start. Adding an angled face to the box too. But...would it be a flat piece from the top of the windshield up to the top, leading edge, of the box...of maybe one with a curve???

The back used to have a rollup door but i removed it and framed in a plywood wall. An RV door will be on the right and window on the left. This is temporary. An idea is to make a longer whale tail extension like I'm seeing on some semi trailers. Taper the sides and top...I dunno???

Any suggestions? Oh...and no, I'm not going to get a different vehicle. This was economical to buy and the camper conversion is already going on

Tom