View Single Post
Old 05-08-2012, 01:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
fauxpaws
EcoModding Lurker

Ford Focus boat tail question

Hello all you ecomodders!

I am new, but I have been lurking for weeks. I got hooked reading the Forkenswift and electo-metro threads (both awesome projects btw), but I am not ready to tackle anything near that scale. However, I recently read through the popular metro boat tail project, and I think something similar might benefit me.

Here are the details:
I drive a 2000 ford focus (4 door sedan) and I would like to add something similar to what MetroMPG added to his metro, but when I was drawing it up I saw the possibility of a far simpler design for my car.

Attached is a very rough picture (ms paint) of my proposal. In red is something that would be similar to MetroMPG's tail, and in blue is my proposed revision. I thought this would allow me to retain my view to the rear.

Here are the questions:
Would attaching some sort of fin array forward of the rear window help maintain attached flow in this case?
Do you think the combination of the turbulators and the smaller tail would improve the aero on this car, or would this be an exercise in futility?

Obviously, the only way to be absolutely certain is to try it and record the results. If there is a chance this could be functional I will build a prototype and perhaps do some tuft testing (but do not expect the level of detail shown in the MetroMPG thread...)

Looking forward to hearing from those with more experience. Don't hold back!

Fauxpaws