View Single Post
Old 05-08-2012, 10:05 PM   #21 (permalink)
minispeed
EcoModding Apprentice

minispeed-Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 82.15 mpg (US)

MDX - '01 Acura MDX Touring
90 day: 22.29 mpg (US)

the wife's car - '13 Toyota Prius Plus
90 day: 45.99 mpg (US)

leaf-one - '15 Nissan Leaf SV
Got the new tires installed today. 185 70 14 front and 195 70 14 rear. It has dropped about 500-600 rpm at 100km/hr. The speedo now reads 100 when I am going 102-103 instead of reading 100 and going 95 as it was before. The odo was pretty dead on before and now puts 14km on for every 15km I drive.

I had searched and heard that 185 70 14 fits on the front with minor right hand turn rubbing, however I found it was pretty annoying and had people turning heads when I entered the gas station. I trimmed back part of the wheel lining and then after a quick test drive it was only minor rubbing. If I had to do it again I would have went with 175 70 14 fronts.

Here is a picture with just the passenger side changed to show the ride height difference.

Here is a picture from the side.

I can tell it's much higher when I'm getting in and out, about 2 in over all diameter so 1 in higher. It actually makes it more comfortable to get in and out of. Because of this height I will be concentrating more on the under air flow and playing around with air dams. I went to Home Depot but couldn't find the appropriate edging that I have seen used before.

Now I'm at 45psi all around, I never did a full coast down test before but on one main slight downhill from my house I made it past a stop light that I was usually starting back up before. It feels like it coasts smoother and when trying to shift at 1800rpm first gear feels like it should instead of an instant shift to second.

The next big project will not be fuel economy related. Painting the hard top flat black. However it will allow me to do a tank or two with the soft top up/down and compare the MPG from having the hard top installed.

Last edited by minispeed; 05-08-2012 at 10:11 PM..