View Single Post
Old 06-02-2008, 08:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
diamondlarry
EPA MPG #'s Slayer

La Forge - '07 Toyota Prius
90 day: 84.38 mpg (US)

DOHCtor Green MPG - '99 Saturn SL2
90 day: 49.17 mpg (US)

Silver Sipper - '00 Honda Insight
OK, I'll try this again. I generally try to stay on country roads where I can stay at 40 mph or below. Once I get to 40, I let off the gas all the way then touch it very lightly until the blue arrows and yellow arrows go away. This is the glide state with the engine off. This can be tricky to maintain so I'll sometimes throw it in neutral until I reach the low end target speed which I try not to let go below 20 mph. When the low speed target is reached, put it back in D and accelerate very lightly back up to the upper target speed. When accelerating you want to try for orange arrows from the engine to the wheels and a yellow arrow to the battery only and no yellow arrows to the wheels.

For highway driving I try to stay at 50-55 mph in the far right hand lane. Once at the upper target speed, let off the throttle until the Scanguage TPS reads 17-19. If you don't have a SG, let off to the point where the instantaneous mpg is at 70-80+. This will cause your speed to bleed off at a slow rate. When you get down to 45 mph, accelerate slowly back up to the upper target speed and start over.

My tires are also at ~70 psi and have been since last October and there is no uneven wear and the handling is still good. Of course, I don't drive very fast to begin with though.

Ask me more questions if I've left anything out.