View Single Post
Old 05-10-2012, 11:39 AM   #68 (permalink)
cvetter
EcoModding Apprentice

"The way we really drive" is spot on. Back in the 1980s, those wonderful 400 + mpg streamlined motorcycles of the Vetter Fuel Economy Contests ended up in museums, changing nothing.

I am here to encourage you to develop vehicles you will really want to use, not just ride to competitions. It is becoming clear that the driving in various parts of the country can be very different. The Ohio Vetter Challenge of 2011 was relatively slow... 50 mph, on beautiful meandering roads. Less power was needed. Less fuel was consumed. We can look pretty good there. Las Vegas to Barstow can have 30-40 mph head and/or sidewinds with much higher speeds. California has all this plus high mountain passes. It is much harder to consume less fuel the way we really drive in Western conditions.

I live in California. My role as a designer is to develop the streamlining. It follows, then, that the streamlining developed for the American West will address the more extreme problems. Those of you who top out at 55 mph with no headwinds will find that the streamlining I am developing will be very useful. We all need to be able to carry a useful load.
My role is also to also provide a venue - The Vetter Challenges - for all who care about these matters to meet, ride and learn.
Craig Vetter, designer