View Single Post
Old 05-10-2012, 11:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Metro, I understand that there will be others who work on the batteries. I also understand that with the first Insights approaching 13 years age, a point is reached where time and mileage compound to exacerbate issues.
For those who have youth and determination there will always be an option of keeping an early Insight going, even without the battery.
What surprises me is the inability to buy sticks of 6 cells from any manufacturer as a new item. You would think that would not be to difficult, considering they were built 13+ years ago when the cars were originally built.
With some paying $5000 + for early Insights and the limited production over the 7 years they were produced, with something like 13k total production, it will get increasingly difficult to obtain used parts and the cost of new will remain exorbitant.
On the positive side I am reviving a 1987 Yamaha SRX 250, which was only imported into the US for one year, possibly in lower numbers than the first gen Insight. With the Internet even something as unusual as that 87 SRX, you still can find most of the parts fairly easy, as long as you are willing to pay the price.

regards
Mech