View Single Post
Old 06-02-2008, 09:56 PM   #13 (permalink)
Xringer
Old Retired R&D Dude

Little Red - '12 Toyota Prius c 2 Two
90 day: 57.82 mpg (US)

"Whitey" Bulger - '14 Toyota RAV4 LE
I had some spare time this evening, so I taped up the intakes. (including the upper slots & Honda Logo).

The horizontal center (plastic) cross piece is set back a bit, so the tape is angled
back towards the rear. That might drive more air into the lower intake,
but the plate blocks a lot of the upper section.

Tomorrow I'll make the divider wedge to stream the air around that center radiator support.
That should increase the positive pressure a tad.

I took a 15 mile test run up Rt3 and back to see what the coolant was going to do.
It's running about 10 degrees hotter. Yesterday's ave was 185f and after the tape job,
it's running at about 195f ave. The outside temp dropped during my ride to about 70f.

Once I was back in my drive way, I waited about 2 minutes and the fan(s) came on.
(There are two, one or both came on).
The SG2 displayed 202f and dropped towards 190, turning off the fan in about 30 seconds.
I'm guessing the trigger point is 200f. This was typical fan operation before the tape.
Now, I have to wait for a hot day and do some more highway miles.

Can't tell anything about the MPG until I get a few runs in, but I drove a very gas-wasting trip and oddly,
it still got 30 MPG. Placebo effect is strong today!

On the floor of the lower intake, about 1" from the radiator, is a steel fence about 1" tall.
I'm wondering if I should put in a false floor from the plastic bottom of the intake, that reaches up to the steel fence??
Basically, make the air flow go over the fence smoothly, so it's closer to the radiator face before it becomes super turbulent.?.

Comments please..

Cheers,
Rich

Current ride: 2014 RAV4 LE AWD (24 MPG)

Wife's Pizza Transporter