Thread: NuGi
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2012, 01:16 AM   #1 (permalink)
jwsherwinengr
EcoModding Lurker

NuGi

Hey, I currentlydrive a 2010 Honda Insight EX getting 44.5 MPG. Sooo disappointed because my 02 Insight got better than 53 MPG. I just broke my lower rear hatch window accidently hitting a lower branch behind me backing into my parking spot at home. Quickly spiked a 2x4 down for a cheap wheel block...Caled my favorite glass shop for a replacement and will know the damages tomorrow.
I quickly put some high miles on my 02 Insight because itwas so fun to drive. I routinely drove 150 mi+ a day roundtrip to go to work on the electronics warfare training range in Northern NV. The dimminutive 3 cyl engine worked hard on highway miles. The engine always got frequent oil changes and filter but the valve train sounded pretty noisy at close to 150K. I think I got a good fair trade-in towards my 2010 I bought new on earth day that year. I wish I could fine tune the CVT to go to a lower ratio when traveling at highway speed on level terrain. A good programmer could put in an electronic level and automatically drop speed when facing hill climbs (by any% selected) and alternately increase ground speed incrementally when going down hill. Maybe a pitot tube to measure wind speed vs ground speed to perform similar function. Has anyone considered performing weight reduction surgery on the body components to shave off weight? I try to keep my tires slightly over pressurized 1-2 lbs front and rear to provide maximum benefits of the tire contact tread performance for dry paved roads. Now about 32K miles on the new Insight after having spent about 4 yrs in Iraq for God and Country. I want to build a 3 wheel hybrid to morph something akin to a new Maserati,XP-3, Vortech, Yamaha XR-9000, Apterra. and make it aluminum, composite, carbon fiber. Is this asking too much? I have some background as a mechanic, motorcyclist, MQ-1B UAV Avionics tech and recent training as a flight simulator technician and friend of the LV Electric Vehicle Assoc. I love restoring my clasic cars and designed and built my own energy efficient home in Northern Nevada.