View Single Post
Old 05-11-2012, 10:55 AM   #28 (permalink)
ProDarwin
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
1) Driving costs $0.51/mile. It doesn't. Especially to an eco-modder. My car gets relatively poor mileage compared to many on this forum (~32 MPG), and its cost of ownership is well under $0.15/mile. If I paid for maintenance, this would surely increase, but would not even be close to $0.51/mile.

Actually the per-mile cost is likely higher. Much higher. You are confusing fuel cost with the greater "ownership cost": purchase price, finance charge, depreciation, tawes, insurance, registration, etc. Fuel cost is less than half, on average.
Nope. Just like the article says: I drive otherwise, so I am required to have insurance. That is not strictly a commuting cost. Nor are taxes. I'm not discussing having a car vs. not having a car - the discussion is about reduced commuting distance.

My last car I paid $1000 for. I drove it 40k miles and averaged 29mpg. Lets say I put $500 into it in basic maintenance/repairs (this is likely high). I sold the car for $1300. So my net loss was $200 in 40k miles. Thats $0.005/mile + fuel costs.

Side note: My real cost was much lower, because I was paid $1600 for damages caused when someone rear-ended me. I didn't fix anything and I pocketed the change. So it was really more like getting paid $0.035/mile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
A long commute is just a good way to waste a good vehicle.
Absolutely. This is why it seems illogical to do the math using a "good" vehicle. Anyone fiscally responsible will be using something cheap, reliable, with low depreciation for this type of commute. My example is a little on the low side for ownership cost, but certainly not extreme.