View Single Post
Old 05-11-2012, 10:02 PM   #16 (permalink)
Saskwatchian
EcoModding Apprentice

Eric's Explorer - '01 Ford Explorer Sport 4x4
90 day: 19.05 mpg (US)

E's V - '07 Nissan Versa SL
90 day: 33.11 mpg (US)
I guess I never updated this after my test drive.

I took three 4x4 XLT supercabs for a spin last week. One with each engine.

I started out with the 3.7 and was unimpressed. I could probably get used to it but it had sort of a cheep feel. Couldn't hold its gear on some hills I had never had to shift on before (despite the less powerful engine in my current Explorer)

I coulden't help but feel like I was driving a big stiff frame with small engine and they should have softened the suspension to reflect the low payload and tow rating. The thing bounced all over the place on washboard gravel and was way too stiff for the brief stint on a rolling quad trail.

I took the 5.0 on the same circuit. I smiled the whole time.

Felt great, sounded great, seemed more planted with a bit more weight in the front. I know it has the worst fuel economy rating but it just felt like a truck should (in my opinion)

Last I took the ecoboost for a spin. and spin it did. The ecoboost can have a "holly poop" feel to it. The thing just felt like it wanted to go fast. 160km/h / 100mph felt like it was just starting to wind up.

But it just didn't really feel right. It felt oddly overgeared/geared too tall. A glaring omission on the instrument cluster was the lack of a boost gage. I was really interested in where and when the turbos would kick in but never got to.

My guess is it is either "eco" or "boost" with these things. I don't think Ford wants us to know how much time it is really in "boost"

I went through the process of getting approved for financing for the 5L but need to try out the CX-5 before I make a decision.

I am going to test a CX-5 in 1 week and before I even start the engine I am going to see how a 36" unicycle and a thermarest fit in the back...

I have high hopes for the CX-5. If it looks like a good fit after the test drive I am definitely going that direction.

It would be nice to have a proper truck so I wouldn't have to always borrow my dads when I am hauling/towing but if I keep my current driving habits (over 60,000km/year) then the CX-5 could save me over $20,000 in 5 years over the F-150 and pay for itself in fuel savings in less than 7 years compared to using my current bomber.