View Single Post
Old 06-02-2008, 11:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
JohnnyGrey
Master EcoModder

Pushrod - '02 Chevrolet Cavalier
Quote:
I talked to two of the engineers at work (I work for an industrial gearing company). They said you are definitly loosing some power due to the extra oil in there. One said its not impossible that you could be loosing 2 horsepower through the box. At highway speeds 2 hp is a huge hit. However, both of the engineers were very concerned with the thermals of the box. The extra oil is going to really heat up the transmission. The increased heat not only breaks down the oil faster, but also pressurizes the unit beyond its specifications.

BTW, what kind of mileage are you getting in the Cavalier? You don't have a garage entry here...
To clarify, yes I do have six full quarts in the transmission. I expected a bit more drag from the fluid, but I would think the fluid would help dissipate heat away from the gears into the case of the transmission. Anyway, I find it hard to believe that the gearbox is any hotter than the engine it's bolted to. These engineers were aware that this is a manual gearbox right? Yes, my manual transmission takes autotrans fluid. Automatics build pressure during normal operation, but how would a manual do so? The gearbox is vented to the atmosphere.

Also, I am running full synthetic ATF (yes, it was expensive).

Right now I'm getting 20-28 city (depending on traffic) and 39 highway. The reason I don't bother posting tanks is because 95% of my driving is city, therefore my tanks are pretty unremarkable. Also, I'm not inclined to do any EOC on my 3.2 mile commute. Such short trips are hard on the engine as is.