View Single Post
Old 05-12-2012, 10:29 PM   #715 (permalink)
thingstodo
Master EcoModder

Ford Prefect - '18 Ford F150 XLT XTR

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
Measuring current

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbobwoolery View Post
If the current sensors are not too high, actually measuring all three, and seeing that they add to zero may be the easiest way to detect a number of parts failure faults at once. Whenever the three currents do not sum to zero, a general fault condition would be generated.
Interesting. I agree that the 'vector sum' of the currents should be 0. And I agree that if the currents do not add up, there are a number of things that could be wrong.

How fast do you need to read the 3 phase currents so that they'll add to 0? Or do you need to average them, since you are sending a bunch of pulses?

I know that you can get a current signal (magnitude) from a hall effect sensor, or three of them I guess - but how do you calculate .. or measure, I guess, the phase angles?

I've seen a lower tech method used - put all three 'output' conductors (or bus bars, I guess) through a current transformer and see if anything is measured. If so, bad things are happening and current is 'escaping' somewhere. I think the alarm reads as 'ground fault'.

I have taken apart some older industrial VFDs that use this lower tech method. None of my employer's more modern VFDs have blown up yet, so I haven't had the opportunity to take them apart and see how it's done now.