View Single Post
Old 05-13-2012, 12:18 AM   #102 (permalink)
thingstodo
Master EcoModder

Ford Prefect - '18 Ford F150 XLT XTR

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
Change of focus

Quote:
Originally Posted by thingstodo View Post
... I will go through my assumptions and test a few things on low-current loads ... tomorrow ...
Well, the low current loads. Turn on 25.2V through a 20 ohm load. The current is expected to be 1.26 amps. It is actually 1.16? Try a 50 ohm load - expect 0.50 amps and get 0.46 amps. It seems that the DC output has a voltage drop across it of about 2 volts.

In any case, it works the way that I expected it to. Replace the output fuse, the grinder blows it every time. Are things happening too fast for my equipment to measure? The current is obviously going far over 10A for at least a few pulses ... the pulses are about 1 ms long ...

The shunt resistor is 1.6 ohms. There is resistance in the grinder when I use a meter to check. If somehow when the grinder starts to turn the resistance goes down, I could get more than 10A ....

My neighbor thinks that he can get the engine and transmission removed from SalvageS10 sometime in the next week. I need to check out a couple of things before that, so I need to change priorities.

First - I need to be able to drive the dashboard. I have a color-code list for the many-conductor cable that interfaces to the dash. I need to strip some wires and determine what signal represents full scale and what is zero scale. Using a voltmeter and a scope I should be able to determine if the signals are pulsed, simple DC, ... or something else. There is no gas tank, so I can't start the engine but on power-up the dash is driven to minimum and maximum.

Second - I need to figure out what signals the ECU needs to function. If power is all that is required, I should be able to clear the OBD codes even with the engine gone. If the ECU needs to see signals from the engine ... I may have some idiot lights on the dash until I get the electric system fully installed ...

Since the S10 is a very popular conversion, I'll post my results here. The color code for the wiring will be posted along with the results (even though I was sure that I had already posted that color code already).