View Single Post
Old 05-13-2012, 04:38 AM   #192 (permalink)
Quasiff
EcoModding Lurker

Compromises and getting things built

Steering damper won't stop a tank slapper. In some cases it may make it worse. See Tony Foale's web site www dot tonyfoale dot com for sources of info, especially his book. Another very useful source is John Bradley's "The Racing Motorcycle- a technical guide for constructors". Hard copy only, order direct from his web site. I know we're not talking about racing bikes here, but there's lots in common.

Tele forks, or whatever you have, will be simpler for a prototype, and I expect the frame build will be done again or much modified anyway after the prototype is running. Building an alternative front end is a significant project in itself and has virtually no effect on fuel efficiency. There are so many new (to Visionary) ideas being applied he will discover lots of things he will want to change. There are always compromises in engineering and this is no exception. I find that (cosmetically good) bodywork is NOT easily modified. Frames are much easier in my experience.

I think the biggest challenge is to keep the bike light enough that the little engine will cope.

Pneumatic actuators are fast and reliable, but not energy efficient. I've designed and built many machines that used them for all sorts of applications. What is wrong with the machine tilting onto a side stand when the rider gets out? The Quasar used a double sided, internally hand operated side stand and it works fine. I've ridden one, so I'm not just speculating.

Last edited by Quasiff; 05-13-2012 at 12:51 PM.. Reason: Correction "..bodywork is NOT easily modified."