View Single Post
Old 05-13-2012, 04:22 PM   #13 (permalink)
bazman
EcoModding Lurker

Weird Thing - '00 Holden (GM) Commodore SS Series II
90 day: 18.67 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecomodded View Post
Rather then a low boost set up, a 20 lb boost medium size quicker spooling turbo, although a twin turbo would be more fulfilling.. a small turbo for acceleration and a big turbo to pass losto air for top speed

The old LS1 with over 100,000 miles still has a good leak down, but 20lb it would not like

The low boost is because I have empathy for the engine and so wanted plenty of cfm per lb of boost while still spooling full boost by 3000rpm.

I get boost starting from 1800 (converter stall is 2800) - so it is perfect. Any more and it'd all go up in tire smoke. As it sits I can throw the keys to my partner even in the rain and know she will be safe. Try driving a high boost V8 auto in the wet.

The key to keeping a boosted big engine safe in the wet is intelligent diff (Harrop Tru-Trac for me, but a Quaife is even better), a stall converter (mild for street) to soften part throttle (remember big engines make massive torque at low rpms), a boost gauge to read what your right foot cannot feel, and a progressive throttle (1st 50% of movement might be only 25% throttle). Low boost makes it even easier.

A manual is easier to keep off boost than an auto