View Single Post
Old 05-13-2012, 04:28 PM   #14 (permalink)
bazman
EcoModding Lurker

Weird Thing - '00 Holden (GM) Commodore SS Series II
90 day: 18.67 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vskid3 View Post
I think you're getting to the point where diminishing returns will really start to kick in as far as engine efficiency goes. You would probably get much better gains-per-dollar with some aero mods, pumping up the tires as much as you can, or a manual transmission swap. My GTO has a 6sp and will putt along at 1600RPM at your 62MPH cruise speed, the RPM difference between auto and manual would be at least 10% (0.7:1 to 0.57:1 with the transmissions offered in the GTO).

However, if saving money isn't your main goal and you just want to see how far you can push the engine, I wish you luck doing what most people would consider crazy/impossible. I love that my stock LS1 can hold its own compared to cars with smaller engines when cruising, I hope that you can make a more powerful one crush them.
I agree re the 6sp helping. I'm at around 1650rpm at 62mph due to my higher diff, but drivetrain losses are significant with an auto.

Right now the car is my company daily driver and the auto is a much better commute. When the car can retire from commute duty I'll put the 6sp in.... along with a built bigger LS engine that will push the limits more than the current set up can. STS get 35mpg out of their 700hp LS3 in a C6 Vette without all the tricks that I'd plan to add, so I hope to get at least 90% of that in my heavier less aero car.