View Single Post
Old 05-13-2012, 05:25 PM   #18 (permalink)
bazman
EcoModding Lurker

Weird Thing - '00 Holden (GM) Commodore SS Series II
90 day: 18.67 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iexpedite View Post
Sounds like you have done almost everything possible to maximize the efficiency of your horsepower motor. Some aero mods would help (I'm thinking belly pan). I am sure you don't want to ugly up your cars profile in the name of efficiency.

I was thinking about a higher overdrive gear in the transmission. How many RPMs are you running at your desired speed? My guess is they are quite low and there is little to be gained here.

I know the Holdens are typically overbuilt to deal with the bad roads found in your neck of the woods. Is there any potential for weight loss?

The lifter thing is interesting. Didn't know that was out there in the aftermarket. I would make the changes you mentioned and see where you end up. If that didn't do it...Like the other guy mentioned, a smaller cam with the psi turned up may be your best option. The boost would cover the reduced power being made on the motor. PM me or post the changes you see with the lifters, that’s just cool that they have those. I am picturing an adjustable screw that bleeds oil based on how far you back it out. Is that correct?
I am looking at a belly pan under the front, I think that'd be easy enough for someone who knows what they are doing (not me lol). My fabricator would cry if I covered his work of art stainless exhaust and air intake plumbing under the rest of the car

Weight loss? Later yes, when it stops being a daily driver I will cage it and lose weight plus add a 6 sp. We'll get great highway mpg then plus have a club car for fun.

The lifters bleed down via some proprietary hole (technical term ) that pump up under higher rpms as the holes are too small to handle the rise in pressure is my guess so then they become anti-pump lifters. That is my take on this... but I could be wrong

Untitled Page