View Single Post
Old 05-13-2012, 07:59 PM   #22 (permalink)
bazman
EcoModding Lurker

Weird Thing - '00 Holden (GM) Commodore SS Series II
90 day: 18.67 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmiller100 View Post
You are not being very logical.

and your choice of a 5.7 is, well, limiting you very much.

You'd be better off with a 5.3, change the valve springs, and run some boost. 800 horsepower and better mileage then you are dreaming is entirely possible, but you seem to already have it all figured out.

Best wishes,

Doug
I wasn't being a smart ass Doug, I understand the conventional wisdom, and you are not wrong.

However, everyone knows and understands smaller motors are easier to get good mpg out of. Why stop at a 5.3 when I could buy a built Evo, run 800hp and get even better mpg out of a 2.3?

My goals are to show that larger engines can still justify their existence. The 5.7 is simply what I have and as I did not want to spend more money on it yet - high boost was not possible on the stock LS. MOst of us here start with what we have right?

When I do have the spare coin for a built engine it will be bigger, not 5.3. That is not because your idea will not work, but because that is not what I'm trying to prove. i.e. My buddies twin turbo Viper getting 30mpg from 8.2L is a far bigger achievement than me getting 35mpg out of a 5.3.