View Single Post
Old 05-13-2012, 10:04 PM   #26 (permalink)
bazman
EcoModding Lurker

Weird Thing - '00 Holden (GM) Commodore SS Series II
90 day: 18.67 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey442 View Post
Good move with the gasket swap. Consider a set of Total Seal rings on your next engine. I'm a big fan of their product. Second position gapless has worked well for me. The worst I've ever tested (Chev SB 400) was 2%. Difficult to keep cylinders round and straight in aluminum block for all operating parameters because of the different expansion rates of aluminum and iron based liners. Keep up the good work.
Yes, you are definitely onto it. A new LS1 apparently was typically around 5% so I figured 2-3% wear over 100,000 miles good. When I build a new engine, I am torn between something like this on a new LS3 or 7 block:

GM LS Superdeck II Short Blocks

or going to an aftermarket LS block and having it hot honed and the rings hand prepped. I know a local race builder that does this and his engines have broken world records and typically are around 1%.

Getting down under 2% will be worth energy by itself. Adding friction and thermal coatings will also salvage some pumping and heat energy losses.

The ultimate for me would be a billet block like LSM make, but I can't justify that in a sedan... we'll keep that one for something worth it like a ZO6 and make some serious power and economy. Can't afford that right now