View Single Post
Old 05-14-2012, 01:29 PM   #18 (permalink)
bp944
EcoModding Lurker

First of all, thanks for all the replies and please keep them coming. It is amazingly helpful especially in the aspect that most v8 forums have no regard for mpg.

A fellow on another forum brought up a point I hadn't thought about. There is VVT and AFM on generation 4 GM engines which also can be retrofitted to most LS engines. That gives me a lot better chance at reaching my goal. Has anyone tinkered with what can be done with VVT and AFM?

Drmiller100, a few clarifications.
-Why 5.3 and the 6.0 over the 5.7? They're aluminum blocks with the same design just difference size bores or am I wrong?

-Also, I will check into the 911 gearbox but I'm pretty sure it won't work. There's been a lot of discussion on the 944 ls conversion forum about this and nothings turned upso far.

-Could you pass the hot rod article on to me please? I would love to take a look at it. Also, are you sure a set of ls3 heads can work on a 5.3 block?

-I think I will be rebuilding the internals since I have some of the parts and it'll make it more efficient. I have lighten rods that will fit a ground down crankshaft. So lighten all the internals and up the compression. Also, honing the engine and putting in new pistons and rings will clean up some of the tolerance allowing for a more efficient cycle. I also simply want to build up an engine for the experience.

mcrews
-You are absolutely right. I love the 944's looks especially compared to the 924. I wouldn't mind to get the turbo front nose on it but that can wait until I get the new engine in.

One question still stands. What would get better mpg, a 400hp 5.3L engine or 5.7L?